The biggest/most notable news this time are:
- Significantly better CPU usage in the audio engine.
- The FaustDev instrument has gotten the following updates:
- Updated to latest version of Faust.
- Interpreter backend in addition to the old LLVM backend. The interpreter backend seems to be somewhere between 2-10 times slower than the llvm backend (rough estimate), but the compilation time is much lower, meaning that when writing code you hear the difference very quickly.
- The Linux and Windows32 versions of Radium now includes the FaustDev instrument. However, only the interpreter backend is included for these two platforms.
- Real-time compilation is more snappy in general.
- Separate keyboard forcus for the editor, mixer, and sequencer. Keyboard focus is marked by an orange border. Before this release, almost all keybindings only worked on the editor, which could be quite irritating. Now the editor must have keyboard focus for any of the editor keybindings to work. In the next release, there should be a lot more keybindings specifically made for the sequencer and mixer.
- Fixes for graphic updates on MacOS.
- Better display of keybindings in the menus.
- A red border around current edit column in the editor.
- An orange border around the current track in the editor.
- A new "Bus" seqtrack type has been introduced.
- The manual has gotten a left-bar menu and some other improvements: http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/documentation/
- "1:3", "1:1", and "3:1" buttons for the mixer to set ratio between upper and lower part of the mixer strips
Historically, there have been quirks in big releases, so if you are working on something, and you don't need any of the new features, you might want to wait until the next release before updating.
Changes 5.9.52 -> 5.9.60:
- Editor: Don't update graphics during playback if
"enable_editor_rerendering_during_playback = false"
is included in the config file.
- Editor: Let grid follow graphical line, not tracker
line. I.e. don't ignore LZ when using grid.
- Keybindings: Let up/down key move select previous
or next seqtrack when sequencer has keyboard focus.
- OSX: More workaround for graphics not updating
after resizing editor.
- Windows: Fix paths being screwed up when directory
separators are converted to backslashes. Might fix
some Python issues.
- Manual: Various improvements.
- GUI: Improve keybinding display in the main menus,
popup menus, and the edit tab
- Sequencer: Drag seqtrack number to change seqtrack
order. (The numbers inside the circles)
- Linux: When running Radium under gdb, close popup
menu if it has been open for 40 seconds and kill
Radium if a popup menu has been open for at least
50 seconds. This to avoid freezing X if program
crashes under gdb while a popup menu is open.
- New song: Make default color of the main pipe blue
- Sequencer: Rename the lower left buttons.
- Mixer: Add "1:3", "1:1", and "3:1: radio buttons to
the main mixer header and to the mixer popup menus.
- GUI: Set all bus instrument colors to "Default Bus
color" (a configurable color) when starting up.
- Sequencer: Introduce "Bus" seqtracks. Bus seqtracks
are audio seqtracks that pipes input by default.
The colors of seqtrack buses are also set to
"Default Bus color".
- Audio: Add "Pipe input" option to audio seqtrack
- Sequencer: Minor optimization for the audio file
- Editor: Fix metronome not making any sounds between
seqblocks in editor timing mode.
- Sequencer: Display slightly less erroneous bars
and beats between seqblocks in the timeline when
the duration of the last bar of the previous played
block wasn't a full bar.
- Initialization: More messages during startup about
- Editor: When creating new a note, pitch, fx,
velocity, or tempo with mouse, always let that
note/pitch/fx/velocity/tempo start at the
beginning of the line the mouse cursor is
placed in, not on the next line if mouse cursor was
placed below half-way into the line. (blackhole89)
- Editor: Fix new piano-notes being rounded to the
nearest note (whether it's up or down). Before,
it was always round down to the nearest note.
- Audio: Fix audio meter graphical update when an
instrument changes number of visible channels.
- GUI: Fix clicking radio buttons in popup menues
when clicking the entry outside the circle.
- Sequencer: Double-click a marker to loop between
that marker and the next.
- Editor: Show red border around current column
inside the cursor (the color is configurable).
- Editor: Show border around current track. The
border has the same color as the keyboard focus
border color, and is also shown only if the editor
has keyboard focus.
- Sequencer: Include last marker when calculating
- Sequencer: Use all leftmost space when there is
only one seqtrack. (There is no current seqtrack
border when there is only one seqtrack.)
- Internal: Update S7 scheme.
- Menus: Only display "Ctrl" when both left or
right control is assigned to a command. Same for
alt and shift.
- Menus: Automatically display several entries when
more than one keybinding is assigned to a command.
- Startup: Fix keybindings sometimes not working on
windows. At least I'm pretty sure it's working now.
- GUI: Speed up opening popup menues. (Content is
- Playlist: Fix crashes that could happen when
inserting audio file.
- Edit: Make sure all text is shown in the "Randomly
delete notes" and the "Lightly shuffle pitches"
- Keybindings: Redefine almost all keybindings so
that they only work when having relevant
- GUI: Separate keyboard focus for the editor, the
mixer, and the sequencer. Press Ctrl+F5, Ctrl+F7,
and Ctrl+F8 to change keyboard focus between the
editor, the mixer, and the sequencer.
- Internal: Display error message when there is an
error while finding right keybinding code to
execute when a key is pressed.
- Shut down: Fix crash iwhen program could't start
- Linux: Update URL to nvidia driver
- Sequencer: Add a "Copy filename to system
clipboard" entry to the audio seqblock popup
- Fluidsynth: Fix erroneously display of
sample/bank/preset in the instrument GUI.
- Editor: Update tooltip for "Edit Lines" ("EL") in
the bottom bar.
- Editor: Fix note not stopping to play when
releasing computer keyboard key after adding a
- Editor: Fix note being played when adding notes and
"Edit Lines" has a value larger than 0.
- Audio: Improve CPU usage of fading in and out.
- Audio: Improve CPU usage of the granulator a little
- Editor: Make resizing look more professional by
covering up some flickering. It's probably not
possible to make perfect though, because of OpenGL.
- Audio: Minor optimization to the multicore
- Load/Save: Remember last used directory when
- GUI: Fix a division by zero when rendering editor
track header. Probably makes no difference in
graphics, but might make it run faster.
- Audio: Add a little bit of release to the Click
instruments to avoid noise when unpressing the
click button in the bottom bar.
- Audio: Written new algorithm for smoothing delay.
Should improve CPU usage significantly overall.
- FaustDev: Add support for the interpreter backend.
- FaustDev: Compile Radium with the option
WITHOUT_LLVM_IN_FAUST_DEV to only include the
interpreter backend. (Avoids linking with the
- FaustDev: Make compilation faster.
- Build: Fix compiling with clang 8.0.
- New: copyWtextToClipboard, getClipboardWtext,
- Removed: getKeybindingFromCommand.
- Renamed: setKeybinding -> addKeybindingToConfFile,
removeKeybinding -> removeKeybindingFromConfFile.
- Documentation: Remove erroneous comments for
openFileForReading and readLineFromFile. These
functions are implemented.
- Add optional start and end arguments to
- Add optional "is_bus" argument to appendSeqtrack
- gui_createMixerStrips ha as new optional argument
"vert_ratio" (is 1/1 by default).
- swapSeqtracks doesn't create undo anymore.
- New: copyWtextToClipboard, getClipboardWtext,